My Firework Videos

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Another blog, another day

For a very very long time - some six months to be precise I have toyed around with the idea of writing a blog that has a few of my ideas. The thought was that some of these ideas and concepts seemed to have merit and when i talked about them in public they did get reactions. Now since I am one of those regular sort of guys with less money (three EMIs a month and bank balance is kaput), I never will get to implement any of these ideas. And many a times someone else seems to get the credit for what i thought up orginally. So let us say that this is a way to protect myself.

Do I hear a sniff that says that I sound pompous? Ok then let me prove a few points -

Point 1

In 1996 I and a rag tag team of software writers wrote a device driver which went on to get approvals from Bajaj Auto and Tata Motors - India's largest automibile manufacturers. this piece of code printed barcodes - those straight lines that you see on products in super marts which are used to total your tab - We went on to install these at over 900 locations. We also went on to do work for Benz and Bayer using the same code. The idea could have gone far but we never could get funding and it was sold off for a pittance.

Point 2

Heard of eMarket-places? No? Ok heard of eBay? Amazon? Hmm fine - was back in 1998 when ebay was just getting its biz plan in place when I talked about emarket-places as a concept would bring together everyone in the supply chain onto the same platform and bring value. Guess what? It did not happen. It died due to lack of funding ( actually everyone including John Broughton said good idea, but held on to their money) You can read this interview which appeared in Hindu BusinessLine if you search real hard on Google.

Point 3

Caferati and Caferati Blog

An idea that has been acknowledged as the very first attempt at collaborative publishing. (I did get fed up with ponderous people who took ownership of this and walked off)

So what am I trying to get at? Simple - this is to be an attempt at trying to get ideas into action, to see if there are ideas that can grow into viable a business and most of all to find funding for these projects.

So here goes... Hope we see a billion ideas bloom and flourish

2 comments:

junoesque said...

go show 'em the stuff you are made of, tiger !!!

Unknown said...

I guess collaborative publishing got pushed back the day you left, well, sort of!

Keep innovating!

J