My Firework Videos

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

the secondary network of wonderful things

Cold media buying types occassionally gather together and speak in hushed tones about circulation numbers etc. They also chew on the bing bang that mainline newspapers can provide to brands that fall prey to their games. A couple of weeks ago I had a good friend try to explain to me the strategy behind the launch of a new service by a courier company. His solution was simple - full page ads in Times of India all editions, Economic times, BusinessWorld and TVCs across news channels. Money burnt - about 80 lakhs in one bloody day. I looked at him and blinked twice and gave him a look over. Was this guy for real? I wanted to check his pulse and poke him in his ribs to ensure that he was indeed alive.
It was then that my friend spoke in hushed tones about a secondary network of media that exists. This media network lives in the shadow of the biggies, it speaks local languages and is generally looked down upon by the Anghrezhi speaking types. But when you want to reach the grassroots, target the mass markets then you have to go to them. They are not expensive and they dont have flash value. No one will ever talk about them in glorious terms. But they do the job.
Think again - why the ^%$##$ did Hutch introduce vernacular Ads for Chota Recharge? And why do brand want to go local? The answer is that we city folks have reached media saturation, we dont look at ads

SO! can I be the first to lay claim to the future of Online advertising? Can I say that I intend to create a huge network of websites and blogs and forums and all that which cater to chota communities who are consumers? Can I tieup every small newspaper in the country and run their websites and drive visitors and thereby create value for advertisers? Can I therefore break the stranglehold of the bigg guys?

Can I do the same with the mobile phone?

Can I offer a potent combination to advertisers ? Mobile and online platform to reach the right consumer? Can I mine the data to know what patterns are emerging ? Can I link SBI Debit cards usage to predict when a family in Ludiana or in Vellambalam buys its next colour TV? Or tell Paramount Airways when Mr Parthasarthy from Chennai will take his next trip to coimbatore or When Mr Waghmare will fly to Kolhapur?

It is exciting times and by god the best to make history and not remain a footnote.

1 comment:

junoesque said...

the sad part sunil is, that STILL people are not looking beyond the obvious media options. i face the problem day in and out. quality of involved, focussed consumers is taking a back seat to absolute numbers

when will they ever learn ? shall we do something about it ??